This episode of Riverdale is brought to you by a cypher (I learnt a new word this week, kids), high school boys making shitty decisions and the reinforcement of librarian stereotypes (Tsk! Tsk!). Here’s our recap of the best bits of Chapter 17 – The Town That Dreaded Sundown.
If you missed the recap last week you can find it here Chapter 16: The Watcher in the Woods
Veronica is always pretty stylish but this week, in particular, I thought she killed it. First with her cute fuschia mini skirt and embellished collared black top, and then, of course, there was the red circle top she designed. If she’s hard pressed for money again, she could probably make a decent profit selling t-shirts.
TALKY TALK: FAVOURITE QUOTES
- “I want to support you and your comely crew”. We can add this one to my list of ‘Veronica quotes that make me cringe’.
- “It’ll be like a little code-breaking party”.
- “Betty’s ponytail is iconic and beyond reproach.” Preach. Have I mentioned today how much I love Kevin? I must state my love for him at least once a day.
- “You’re Betty Cooper. You’re like Nancy Drew meets Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”. It’s about time you said something right this episode, Jughead.
OMNOMNOM: FOODIE MOMENTS
I’m deeply concerned that Jughead is crushing his ranch tortilla chips. No one wants to eat tortilla crumbs.
What cereal do you think Jughead eats? Do you think he is more of a Cheerios or Cinnamon Toast Crunch kinda guy?
LEVEL OF ATMOSPHERIC FOG
Extremely low visibility. I’m surprised that anyone could see anything in this episode. Nearly every scene was hazy and dimly lit. The townspeople of Riverdale should really invest in higher wattage light globes. We also got an abundance of cloud shots as the perfectly timed thunderstorm rolled in to coincide with the rumble between the Serpents and the Bulldogs.
INSIGNIFICANT BACKGROUND DETAILS
What is in the bowl on the table at the Cooper residence? Napkins? Warm towels that they give out at fancy restaurants? I never know if I am meant to wipe my face or hand with those things.
Are we actually meant to believe that the “Town of Riverdale” issues its own Driver’s License? That’s one way to get around identifying what state Riverdale is in. Also, this looks like a copy and paste job on a cardboard business card. Props to the props department.
- Where is Kevin’s mom? I want to meet the woman who gave birth to this angel. I’m so glad that this episode cleared up my questions about the Keller’s unusual home decor / missing mom from last week.
- I wonder why Archie and Veronica weren’t invited to the code-breaking party? I’m sure with their combined brainpower they would have cracked the code in no time.
- Why does Hiram want to cause chaos and confusion in Riverdale? What is his end game? And why do creepy/rich people always have a wooden chest on their desks? What do people keep in them?
- Do you love seeing Fred and Alice fight? I sure do! Although, admittedly Alice fighting with anyone is great.
- Why was there an owl at the library? WHY??!
- Are you angry at the writers for making Toni get between Bughead? I want to like Toni and I want to see more of her character because she seems pretty cool, however, I’m going to pretty annoyed if her only purpose on the show is to split up Bughead.
Drop a comment below and let us know what you thought of this episode!