Winter is typically the time to hibernate under blankets and waste countless hours binge watching Pretty Little Liars on Netflix. Or is that just me? Despite it being hideously cold outside it doesn’t mean that you can’t make the most of this season. Here are 10 things to do this winter:
1. Go to a cabin in the woods (and hopefully make it back alive)
Grab some friends and rent out a cabin for a fun winter weekend getaway. Bonus points if you can find a place with a fireplace (roasted chestnuts and s’mores FTW).
2. Drink more mulled wine and hot apple cider than is good for you
My love affair with warm alcoholic beverages started last year when I had the best hot apple cider of my life in Hobart. Have a go at brewing up your own cup of spicy, apple-y deliciousness by following this recipe or scour the city for every pub that is serving mulled wine this winter (there are plenty of them around).
3. Watch YouTube videos and listen to podcasts to learn things
Life moves pretty fast. Sometimes I forget that I should actually be using my brain to learn stuff, as opposed to just using it to complete Buzzfeed quizzes. I recently discovered some great channels on Youtube like Kurzgesagt – In A Nutshell and Crash Course. Both of these channels explain things like evolution, time, space, economics and history in terms that even I can kind of understand. They also have cute animations. If podcasts are more your things here is a great list of podcasts to keep things interesting.
4. Round up your besties and host a trivia/games night
It’s too cold to go out, so why not stay in and impress your friends with your ability to destroy your opponents at Guess Who?! Or if you are really creative, you could create your own themed trivia questions. Anyone up for a 90s Boy Band trivia night?
5. Get crafty and crochet a chevron infinity scarf
Winter is the perfect time to get hooking! Crochet hooking that is. Dust off that project you started last winter and never got around to finishing. If you need inspiration check out these fab chevron infinity scarves.
6. Discover a new (or old) tv show
We all know that TV tends to get really crap over winter. All your shows have ended and your weeknight television viewing is down to Masterchef. This is the perfect time to discover a new or old tv show. If you need ideas, we’ve got you covered:
– 6 Reasons Why Merlin Could be Your New Favourite Show
– Why Fran Fine is BFF Material
– 10 Reasons to Watch the IT Crowd
– 10 Reasons You Should Be Watching En Otra Piel/In Her Skin
7. Read a prize-winning book
Because reading is cool. And it’s sure to be a great dinner party conversation starter.
8. Get walking
There is something so refreshing about walking in cold weather with the winter wind biting at your skin. I love it. Just make sure you’re appropriately clothed.
9. Dance, dance, dance!
Going out is normally the last thing I feel like doing when the weather is horrible…but once you’re out on the dancefloor you can dance all those winter blues away.
10. Make the most of tights and boots, fuzzy bed socks, mittens, scarves, earmuffs and warm winter PJs
Because, really, isn’t that what winter is all about?